Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC): When I am a Newborn
MN WIC Program
My healthcare provider will check me at the hospital after I am born. I should go again for a Child and Teen Checkup whan I am 1-2 weeks and 2 months old to see if I am growing and healthy.
Remember, every baby is different. Your baby may develop at a rate different than indicated below.
- I CAN...
- Suck and swallow liquids - babies were born to breastfeed - breastmilk is best for me
- Push my tongue out
- Move my head looking for the nipple (called "rooting")
- See shadows, black, white and some color
- YOU CAN...
- Take time to eat nutritious foods, drink water during the day, rest and relax
- Cuddle while you feed me
- Always support my head
- Hold my head higher than my body when feeding
- Always hold me if you bottle feed; never prop the bottle or put me to bed with a bottle
- If breastfed: Know that I am getting enough to eat if I have 6 or more wet diapers a day and 2-5 bowel movements a day
- Supply breastmilk for me even if you go to work
- If you will be away from me, learn how to pump your milk and store it in a bottle or milk storage bag in the refrigerator (3 days) or freezer (6 months)
- TO KEEP ME SAFE & HEALTHY...
- Breastfeed me
- Use an approved car seat in the back seat
- Start to baby proof my home: use outlet covers, stair guards, cupboard locks. Try crawling around as if you were a baby - remove small, sharp objects to prevent choking
- Rock me gently, put me down or ask for help when I keep crying or fussing and you need a break
- Keep my shots up-to-date
- Take me to the doctor on schedule
- Keep a hand on me at all times when I am in water
- Protect the soft spot on the top of my head
- Talk to me, read to me, and play with me
- Put me to sleep on my back in a safe sleeping area