Mealtime is Family Time
MN WIC Program
As a parent, you decide the what, when and where of meals. Your child decides if he will eat, what he will eat from the food offered and how much he will eat.
Talk Together at Family Meals
- Here Are Some Conversation Starters:
- How does your body tell you when it's hungry? Full?
- What is the funniest thing that happened to you today?
- What is your favorite fruit? Favorite vegetable?
- What are all the colors we can see in our meal?
- What was a fun thing you saw today?
- Who did you play with today?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be? Why?
- What is your favorite thing to do outside?
Tips for Happy Family Meals
- Make family meals a priority. Schedule time to eat together.
- Remove distractions. Turn off the TV and focus on each other.
- Sit together and eat as a family.
- Set a good example. Your child may try new foods if she sees you eating them.
- Don't force your child to eat. Children learn better eating habits if they decide when they are full.
- Enjoy mealtime talk. Listen to your child and make him feel included. Be patient and avoid negative comments.
Eat Together as a Family and You Will:
- Create happy memories.
- Start family traditions.
- Enjoy being together and feeling connected.
- Show your child how to enjoy new foods and how to eat healthier.