MN WIC Program
- Kids can help!
Creamy Rice Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick OR 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Place water and cinnamon in a medium pan. Bring to a boil.
- 1/2 cup dry white rice OR use 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (if using leftover cooked rice, begin directions at "Add milk, sugar and salt..." and add 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
Stir in rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes until rice is soft and water has been absorbed.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
For a variation, add:
- 1/2 cup raisins during the last 15 minutes of cooking
Add milk, sugar and salt. Increase heat to medium-low and cook uncovered 15 minutes until thickened. (Pudding thickens more as it cools.)
Remove cinnamon stick. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftover rice pudding.
- 1 cup plain yogurt OR flavored
- 1/2 cup fruit, chopped (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 2 Tbsp granola OR cereal
- Spoon yogurt into a bowl or glass goblet.
- Add fruit and sprinkle with granola.
- See the Simple Snacks' Granola Recipe
- 6 cooking apples (such as McIntosh or Cortland)
- 1/4 cup apple juice OR water
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg OR 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Peel apples. Cut apples into fourths and remove seeds. Cut each fourth into bite-size chunks.
Combine all ingredients into a microwave-safe dish.
Cook in microwave on medium-high for 4 minutes. Stir and cook for 3 minutes more. Apple chunks will be firm, but soften as they stand.
OTHER COOKING OPTIONS
Stovetop: Increase juice or water to 1/2 cup. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook just below boiling for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- No-stick cooking spray
- 4 firm bananas
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp butter OR margarine
Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 9x13-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Peel bananas.
Cut each banana in half lengthwise.
- Place banana halves in baking pan.
- Sprinkle bananas with powdered sugar
- Sprinkle bananas with cinnamon and dot with butter
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon sauce from bottom of pan over bananas.
Return pan to oven and bake 4 to 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.