Save Money on Groceries
MN WIC Program
Printable Version: Save Money on Groceries (PDF: 216KB/1 page)
- Plan menus using weekly store ads and coupons. Before going to the store, make a list from your planned menus and stick to it.
- Avoid temptations to buy extra. Eat before you shop and shop without children along.
- Buy generic or store brands.
- Buy from bulk bins in just the amounts you need - especially spices, nuts and grains.
- Limit expensive convenience foods. Try making your own.
- Buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they are in season. Frozen or canned are good choices too.
- Shop at local farmer's markets or food co-ops.
- Plant a garden or pot with tomatoes or herbs. Some communities have community gardens.
- Check out the bean recipes. Beans are a tasty, healthy and convenient protein source.
Back to Top
For More Help
- Check with area churches and community centers for free meals and food.
- Buy groceries through discount programs, such as "Fare for All".
- See if you are eligible for Food Support (food stamps).
- Visit your local Food Shelf.
- Call United Way at 2-1-1 or 1-800-543-7709 for information about these services in your area.
Back to Top