How to Shop with WIC Vouchers
MN WIC Program
Before You Shop
- Find a WIC-Approved Store
- If you received vouchers for more than one month:
- Identify the vouchers by date that you must use first and keep your other vouchers in a safe place.
- Do not sign any of the WIC vouchers before using them at the store. Sign each voucher only after the cashier has written the price of the WIC foods on it.
- Check the dates of the vouchers you want to use.
NOTE: Make sure the date you use a voucher is on or between the "First Day to Use" and the "Last Day to Use" date listed on the voucher.
Bring with You to the Store
- Your WIC ID Folder (the cashier should check that your signature matches a signature on the front of your WIC ID folder).
- The WIC Shopping Guide (PDF: 995KB/13 pages).
While You Shop
- Using The WIC Shopping Guide (PDF: 995KB/13 pages), choose only WIC-allowed foods that are printed on your voucher
- Double check to make sure the foods you choose are the right package sizes.
At the Cash Register
- Separate your WIC foods from any other grocery items you may be purchasing at the same time.
- If you are using more than one voucher, separate your WIC foods by voucher.
- If using your Fruit & Vegetable voucher, group your fruits and vegetables together and use this voucher LAST.
- Tell the cashier you will be using WIC vouchers.
- Show the cashier your WIC ID folder.
- Make sure the cashier fills in the correct price on each voucher.
- Sign each voucher in front of the cashier.
- Be sure to obtain a receipt from the cashier.