Get Moving - Activity for 1 to 2-Year Olds
Children Card 11
MN WIC Program
- Feeding Your One Year Old
- Feeding Your 1 ½-Year Old
- Feeding Your 2-Year Old
- Feeding Your 3-Year Old
- Feeding Your 4--Year Old
- How Do I Get My Child to Eat?
- MyPlate for Children
- Healthy Weight
- Helping Your Child Grow
- Get Moving - Activity for 1 to 2-Year Olds
- Keep Moving - Activity for 3 to 5-Year-Olds
Young children need to be active to grow and develop. Kids are naturally active. Plan some time for your child to be active every day. Active play helps your child:
- Learn about his body and the world around him
- Be creative and imaginative
- Sleep better at night
- Have a better appetite
- Have strong bones, lungs, muscles and heart
- Be healthy
- Riding toys
- Pushing and pulling
- Piling blocks
- Drawing with crayons
- Picking up small objects
- Putting toys and puzzles together
Parents are a child’s first and most important teachers. Play with your toddler.
- Make moving interesting. Tell your child to:
• Run lightly
• March in time (to a fast beat)
• Step with giant steps
• Step with knees high
• Walk on heels
- Turn off the TV, turn on some music and let your child dance. Go through these movements together, and then combine 2 or 3 of them.
• Stretch hands over head
• Shake arms, legs and head
• Clap hands
• Bend knees
• Squat all the way to the floor
• Lift one foot and then the other
- Outdoors Bubble chase. Let your child blow bubbles and have fun chasing, popping or stomping them.
- Play outside. Play in the leaves or in the snow.
- Ask WIC staff for other activity ideas.
Playing with your toddler helps your child grow smarter,