Keep Moving - Activity for 3 to 5-Year-Olds
Children Card 12
MN WIC Program
- Feeding Your One Year Old
- Feeding Your 1 ½-Year Old
- Feeding Your 2-Year Old
- Feeding Your 3-Year Old
- Feeding Your 4--Year Old
- How Do I Get My Child to Eat?
- MyPlate for Children
- Healthy Weight
- Helping Your Child Grow
- Get Moving - Activity for 1 to 2-Year Olds
- Keep Moving - Activity for 3 to 5-Year-Olds
Young children need to be active to grow and develop. Kids are naturally active. Plan some time for your child to be active every day. Active play helps your child:
- Learn about his body and the world around him
- Be creative and imaginative
- Sleep better at night
- Have a better appetite
- Have strong bones, lungs, muscles and heart
- Be healthy
Toys to play with
- A tricycle or a riding toy (push with feet)
- Beach balls/large balls
- Light weight bat and ball
- Toy cars and trucks
- Doll stroller
- Toy lawn mower, rake, small shovel
- Sidewalk chalk
- Empty cardboard boxes
Parents are a child’s first and most important teachers. Play with your preschooler.
- Have your child march to music like a :
• Tuba player
• Flute player
• Football player
- Go for a walk outside
- Go to the park or playground
- Go to your local community center or YMCA. Many have swimming pools and gyms.
- Toss, kick, or bounce a ball back and forth
- Square hop. Make a pattern of squares on a safe sidewalk or driveway with sidewalk chalk. Have your child hop in and out of each square on one foot. Repeat with the other foot.
- Freeze dancing. Put on some music and let your child dance. Stop the music and everyone freezes! Turn the music back on and start dancing again.
- In the winter, try sledding and skating. Make a snowman or a snow angel in the snow.
- Skip, run, jump, hop and swing together!
Preschoolers love to help parents with chores. Some chores to do together:
- Indoors – pick up toys, make beds, pick up and put away dishes, dust furniture, set the table for meals, water plants, feed and care for pets.
- Outdoors – pick up the yard, carry out the trash, wash the car, wash the dog, sweep the porch and sidewalk.
Celebrate your life together.