General Nutrition Card 2
MN WIC Program
- Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
- Snack: It's Not a Bad Word
- Moms and Kids Need Iron
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Be Food Safe
- Vitamin D
Boning up on calcium:
- Use milk to make puddings, custards and milkshakes.
- Add milk to soups, rice or hot cereal instead of water.
- Eat cereal with milk for a quick snack.
- Add cheese to sandwiches, salads and baked potatoes.
- Choose chocolate milk instead of pop for a snack.
- Choose yogurt for a snack. (Add fruit, nuts or granola.)
- Try cheese and crackers for a snack.
- Skim or 1% milk is best for anyone over 2 years of age.
- Add extra cheese to pizza or boxed macaroni and cheese.
Why eat fruits and vegetables?
- They taste great!
- Fruits and vegetables make a great snack.
- They are easy to prepare.
- Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and fiber.
- They help prevent heart disease and cancer!
How many fruits and vegetables do I need?
|Children (1-5 years old) need daily||Women need daily|
• 1 - 1 ½ cups fruits
• 1 - 1 ½ cups vegetables
• 2 cups fruits
• 3 cups vegetables
1 cup fruit = 1 cup fruit or fruit juice; ½ cup dried fruit
1 cup vegetables = 1 cup raw or cooked vegetables; 2 cups of raw leafy greens
Choose a variety of fresh, frozen