Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
General Nutrition Card 5
MN WIC Program
- Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
- Snack: It's Not a Bad Word
- Moms and Kids Need Iron
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Be Food Safe
- Vitamin D
You want the best for your baby. Remember, everything you put in your body goes into your baby’s body too. Serious harm can be done when the baby is just starting to grow inside. It is important to stop using alcohol, tobacco and other drugs as soon as you think you might be pregnant.
What can you do?
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking cigarettes can cause your baby to be born too early and too small. Your baby doesn’t get enough food or air to grow when you smoke.
- Stay away from secondhand smoke because it is harmful to you and your unborn baby.
- Don’t drink any beer, wine, or liquor. Alcohol can cause permanent harm to your unborn baby.
- Stay away from all medicines until your doctor or nurse tells you which ones are safe.
- Street drugs are very dangerous. If you are using street drugs, get help from someone you trust.
Pregnancy is not forever, but the damage to your baby from drugs and alcohol never goes away.
…And Now You Are a Parent
You are a parent who shares your home, love, and time with your child. A parent who uses drugs or abuses alcohol may not care for their child properly. Drugs, alcohol, and tobacco can keep you from being the best parent that you can be and can keep your child from growing up healthy and happy.
Did you know?
- If you smoke, the air in your home is harmful to your children. Babies and children who breathe it may have more colds and sickness and may not eat or grow as well as they should.
- It is hard to be a good parent when you are under the influence of alcohol. Children may not get the love, care and attention they need.
- Your children want to be like you. If you drink alcohol, smoke or take drugs, your children may also want to try this.
- It costs a lot of money to raise a child. Money spent on cigarettes, alcohol and drugs is money that could be spent on good food and family fun.
- All parents want to enjoy their children and see them grow up. Alcohol, cigarettes and drugs can ruin your health and shorten your life.
- Don’t trade being a parent for cancer, lung disease, heart attacks, or AIDS.
If you need help to quit using drugs or drinking, please ask. The WIC office can tell you where to go for help.