How to Shop with WIC Vouchers
MN WIC Program
These steps describe what to do when shopping with WIC vouchers.
1. Before You Shop
If you received vouchers for more than one month:
- Make sure the date you use a voucher is on or between the "First Day to Use" and the "Last Day to Use" date listed on the voucher. Keep your other vouchers in a safe place.
- Do not sign any of the WIC vouchers before using them at the store. Sign each voucher only after the cashier has written the price of the WIC foods on it.
- Look over the WIC Shopping Guide (PDF) before going to the store.
2. Bring with You to the Store
- Your WIC ID Folder (the cashier should check that your signature matches a signature on the front of your WIC ID folder).
- The WIC Shopping Guide.
3. While You Shop
Using the WIC Shopping Guide, choose only WIC-allowed foods that are printed on your voucher
Double check to make sure the foods you choose are the right package sizes.
4. At the Cash Register
Separate your WIC foods from any other grocery items you may be purchasing at the same time.
- If you are using more than one voucher, separate your WIC foods by voucher.
- If using your Fruit & Vegetable voucher, group your fruits and vegetables together and use this voucher LAST.
Tell the cashier you will be using WIC vouchers.
- Show the cashier your WIC ID folder.
- Make sure the cashier fills in the correct price on each voucher.
- Sign each voucher in front of the cashier.
- Be sure to obtain a receipt from the cashier.