Save Money on Groceries
Minnesota WIC Program
Plan menus using weekly store ads and coupons. Before going to the store, make a list from your planned menus and stick to it.
Avoid temptations to buy extra. Eat before you shop and shop without children along.
Buy generic or store brands.
Buy from bulk bins in just the amounts you need - especially spices, nuts and grains.
Limit expensive convenience foods. Try making your own.
Buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they are in season. Frozen or canned are good choices too.
Shop at local farmer's markets or food co-ops.
Plant a garden or pot with tomatoes or herbs. Some communities have community gardens.
Check out the bean recipes. Beans are a tasty, healthy and convenient protein source.
For More Help
- Check with area churches and community centers for free meals and food.
- Buy groceries through discount programs, such as "Fare for All".
- See if you are eligible for Food Support (food stamps).
- Visit your local Food Shelf.
- Call United Way at 2-1-1 or 1-800-543-7709 for information about these services in your area.