Resources for WIC Authorized Grocery Stores & Pharmacies
- What are my responsibilities for training my store employees?
- What types of training are available from the Minnesota WIC Program?
- How often does my store need to participate in WIC training?
- How can I request WIC training?
- What training materials are available from the Minnesota WIC Program?
- Group Training Materials for the New WIC Food Package
A store owner is responsible for making sure that anyone who might accept a voucher on behalf of the store knows how to do so properly. Please keep in mind that by federal regulations and state rules, the store owner is responsible for the actions of its employees (paid or unpaid persons accepting vouchers for the store). This means that if a cashier commits a program violation while taking a voucher, the store owner will be held responsible for it.
Prior to initial authorization, a store representative who will train store cashiers must attend a group training session. After authorization, a store representative who trains the store cashiers must attend group training approximately every three years.
Additionally, stores will receive additional training through newsletters, DVDs, and store monitoring visits by WIC personnel. If your store is found to be violating WIC Program rules, store staff may be required to complete additional training as well.
We have cashier training DVDs available to assist you in training store personnel. The cashier training DVD can be viewed online.
If you would like a copy of the DVD, please contact Theresa Graham at (651) 201-4417 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copies of previous WIC Matters newsletters are also available.
We can also arrange for face-to-face training for your store personnel. To do so, please contact Erin Kelsey at (651) 201-4415 or email@example.com.
You should review all training materials sent to you by the WIC Program (newsletters, videos, and memorandums regarding policies and procedures). A representative of your store will also need to complete interactive training on WIC Program policies at least once every three years. This will typically be through group training sessions.
Please contact Erin Kelsey at (651) 201-4415 or erin.kelsey@.state.mn.us if you would like to arrange training for your store personnel.
The most recent editions of the WIC Matters newsletter are available.
We have cashier training videos available to assist you in training store personnel. If you would like a copy of the video (available in VHS or DVD formats), please contact Theresa Graham at (651) 201-4417 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage stores to post a copy of the “Cashier Checklist” at each cash register to assist cashiers in correctly processing WIC vouchers.
For any other training needs, please contact Erin Kelsey at (651) 201-4415 or email@example.com.
Group Training Materials for the New WIC Food Package
The Minnesota WIC vendor unit is currently training all retail food WIC vendors on the August 1, 2009 changes in the Minnesota WIC foods. The materials that we are using in our training presentation include the following:
- PowerPoint presentation for Tier 1 vendors - Anoka, Dakota, Hennepin, and Ramsey Counties (PDF: 1.02MB/81 pages)
- PowerPoint presentation for Tier 2 vendors - All other counties (PDF: 1.02MB/81 pages)
- Examples of WIC vouchers with the new WIC foods (WORD: 605KB/7 pages)
- Current Minnesota WIC Shopping Guide (PDF: 2.3MB/13 pages)
- Minnesota WIC Cashier Reference Guide (PDF: 240KB/2 pages)
- Minimum Stock Requirements for the new WIC foods - Tier 1 (WORD: 36KB/2 pages)
- Minimum Stock Requirements for the new WIC foods - Tier 2 (WORD: 34KB/2 pages)
- Cashier checklist (revised) (WORD: 118KB/2 pages)