Minnesota Health Care Facilities Programs
For more information and resources related to healthcare emergency preparedness
Licensing and Certification
Licenses and inspects hospitals, nursing homes and other health care providers. Also certifies health care facilities and other providers who take part in the federal Medicare and Medicaid programs.
Case Mix Review.
Conducts annual inspections to assess the quality of care in long-term care facilities that take part in the Medicaid program. Assesses the level of care required for each resident, helping to determine the amount a facility is paid to provide care.
Office of Health Facility Complaints.
Accepts and investigates complaints about health care facilities in Minnesota, including reports of neglect or abuse involving "vulnerable adults" who live in those facilities.
Nursing Assistant Registry.
Registers qualified nursing assistants to work in long-term care facilities; maintains information about nursing assistants who have substantiated findings of abuse, neglect and misappropriation of property; and approves and monitors 130 nursing assistant training and competency evaluation programs.
Resident and Provider Information
- Home Care Regulatory Framework Planning Group
- Patient Bill of Rights
- Health Care Provider Directory/Statistics
- Advanced Directives
- Filing a Complaint
- Long Term Care Information
- Nursing Home Report Card
- MDH Long Term Care Issues Ad Hoc Committee
Bulletins, Reports, Manuals, Forms
- Information Bulletins
- Proposals for Exceptions to The Nursing Home Moratorium
The Commissioner of Health is accepting written proposals from nursing homes and certified boarding care homes requesting funding through the moratorium exception process.
Legislative Reports about Compliance Monitoring Division activities can be found on this page. You can view and print copies of the Legislative Reports for 2004 to 2011.
Links to Non-MDH Information Sources and Provider Groups
- Office of Ombudsman for Long Term Care, Associations for Long Term Care, Elderly Housing and Assisted Living
- US Government Medicare, Long Term Care & Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- minnesotahelp.info - A statewide database of community resources with special topic areas containing resources for older adults.
- eldercare.gov - The Eldercare Locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging. The service links those who need assistance with state and local area agencies on aging and community-based organizations that serve older adults and their caregivers
- Senior LinkAge Line® is a free information and assistance service that makes it easy for seniors and their families to find community services. Contact the Senior LinkAge Line® at (800) 333-2433 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The website is http://www.mnaging.net/en/Advisor/SLL.aspx.