Information Bulletin 01-07
Federal Nursing Home Minimum Data Set (MDS)
This bulletin announces the publication of HCFA Transmittal 22, effective January 9, 2001 which addresses Federal Nursing Home Minimum Data Set (MDS) requirements. It details that facilities must implement Appendix R- September, 2000 update of the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI), version 2.0, including formal attestation and the new MDS Correction Request Form; the MDS Data System; Validation and Editing System; Privacy and Confidentiality; Exhibits; Submission time frames; Correction Policy; and Survey Guidance Appendix PP- Interpretive Guidelines.
MDH Informational Bulletins # 00-5, # 00-17 and # 99-2 are made obsolete by Information Bulletin 01- 07.
What is included in HCFA Transmittal 22:
Transmittal 22 provides an update of the overall MDS system, its procedures and policies, particularly the Request for Corrections process. Revisions have also been made to Appendix PP (Guidance to Surveyors) and Appendix R (Resident Assessment Instrument for Long Term Care Facilities).
There are now six (6) different reports that facilities can obtain:
- Facility Quality Indicator Profile
- Facility Characteristics
- Resident Quality Indicator Summary
- Resident Listing
- Data Submission Summary
- Assessment Summary
Accessing Transmittal 22:
The Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) has posted Transmittal 22 at the following website: http://cms.hhs.gov/manuals/pm_trans/R22SOM.pdf [expired link]
Other Related Website Addresses:
Facilities can dial into the state system using the MDCN (IBM Global Network) Dialer and locate the Quality Indicator Reports. The link is on the Welcome to the HCFA MDS System screen under analytic reports.
The next three items can be accessed at the following website:
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/providers/psc/DAVE/links.asp [expired link]
- All of the MDS forms implemented as of September, 2000, can still be located by going to the preceding MDS website, scrolling down to New September, 2000 Update to the MDS Resident Assessment Forms, and Clicking on mds0900b.pdf.
- The Facility Guide for the Nursing Home Quality Indicators can be downloaded from the same website. Scroll down to Facility Guide for the Nursing Home Quality Indicators, and Click on DOWNLOAD. This manual is intended as a guide for using QI reports.
- The RAI Users Manua1 can be accessed from the same website by scrolling down to MDS 2.0 Training Manual. Click on manual.zip to download, and save the manual. [Note: If you have had no prior experience with manual.zip files, you will need to seek assistance to correctly perform this task.]
How do I access the MDS/OASIS Clinical and Technical Help Lines?
|MDS Clinical Help Line -||Telephone: (651) 201-4313|
|MDS Technical Help Line -||Telephone: (651) 201-3817 Metro Area|
|Toll Free: 1-888-234-1315 Outstate|
Note: At the time of this mailing the above web site addresses are correct. However HCFA web site addresses are subject to change. As MDH becomes aware of these changes we will update the HCFA address on this bulletin at our MDH web site listed below.
If you have any questions regarding this Information Bulletin, please contact in writing:
Minnesota Department of Health
Health Regulation Division
Licensing and Certification Program
85 East Seventh Place, Suite 300
PO Box 64900
St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0900
Telephone: (651) 201-4101