Change of Ownership Process for Medicare-certified Home Health Agencies
The new owners must have the same location, same service area and provide the same services exactly as the previous owner.
A Medicare-certified home health agency that has a change of ownership will provide the following:
- As the new owner, submit a completed Comprehensive Home Care License Application and license fee to MDH prior to the change of ownership date. See Comprehensive Home Care Licensing website.
- Submit copies of legal documents signed and dated by both parties substantiating the parties involved and the effective date of the change of ownership.
- Complete the following Medicare forms:
Completed documents should be emailed or mailed to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Health Regulation Division
Licensing and Certification Program
PO Box 64900
St. Paul, MN 55164-0900
Attn: Certification Specialist
Email address: Health.CM-Cert@state.mn.us
CMS 855A application and all supporting documentation should be submitted to the designated Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) for approval.
- CMS 855A Medicare Enrollment Application (PDF) (must be completed by both the buyer and the seller)
- (See Medicare Fee-for-Service Provider Enrollment Contact List)
MDH will not proceed with the change of ownership until after we have received a copy of the 855A and approval letter from the MAC.
When we have received all of the documents, MDH will review the documents and make a recommendation to the Region V Office of CMS. If approved, the Region V Office of CMS will send an approval letter to the facility.