Nursing Assistant Registry
The Nursing Assistant Registry lists nursing assistants who have met Minnesota training and testing standards to work in nursing homes and certified boarding care homes. The registry also has information about nursing assistants who have substantiated findings of abuse, neglect, and theft.
This is not an online registry. Instead, nursing assistants, employers, and others can check the registry by using MDH's automated phone system and the nursing assistant's social security number.
Nursing Assistant Retest
You may be required to retake your nursing assistant test by March 31, 2016, if you recently took your test at one of two metro sites. If you have questions on whether or not you are on the list of individuals required to retest, you may contact MDH at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-201-4131.
Due to evidence of testing abnormalities at two metro sites maintained by Inver Hills Community College, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is requiring retesting for 569 people who took tests to become federally qualified nursing assistants.
You may need to retake the test, if you:
- Did not attend a nurse training course, and
- You took your test at Inver Hills Community College for Professional and Workforce Development or its satellite location at Blue Sky Online in West St. Paul between May 1, 2014, and October 16, 2015.
For those retaking the test, they need to retake it before March 31 or they might not be able to keep working. This is necessary because investigators found questions about the reliability of test results.
Instructions for workers
If you took the challenge nursing assistant tests, which allow a candidate to test out without attending a nursing assistant program, at either the Blue Sky or Inver Hills testing sites between May 1, 2014 and Oct. 16, 2016, you are required to retake the nursing assistant assessment tests before March 31, 2016. Failure to retest prior to this date will result in your name being removed from active status on the Minnesota Nurse Aide Registry. As a result you will not be eligible to work at any federally certified nursing home or board and care home.
All retests will occur at the Dakota County Technical College (DCTC). You may access the test dates and times being offered at Nursing Assistant Exam Retesting. Once you choose the date you would like to retest, you will send a reservation request to email@example.com. You will receive confirmation of your reservation by email. All reservations must be made by Jan. 31, 2016.
You will be required to retake both the written and skills test. There will be no charge to you.
Questions on dates and times for retests may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates are required to bring two (2) forms of current, not expired, official signature bearing identification to the test site.
One of the signature IDs must be photo bearing.
The candidate’s name on the identification must be the same as the name used by the candidate on the application to register for the exam.
If the candidate’s name is different, he or she MUST bring proof of name change (a copy of an official document such as a marriage license or a divorce decree).
Photo copies will NOT be accepted. Examples of proper identification include current, not expired:
- Driver's license
- State-issued identification card
- Alien registration card
- Signed Social Security card
- U.S. federal-issued identification
- Credit card or U.S. financial institution-issued identification
A birth certificate is NOT an acceptable form of identification to test.
If a candidate fails to present proper identification, he or she may not test.
Instructions for employers
- Determine if your nursing assistants took the test at one of the locations between May 1, 2014, and October 16, 2015.
- If as an employer you become aware of someone who should retake the test, please contact MDH at Health.email@example.com.
People who attended a nursing assistant training course and then took the test do not need to retest.
Fallen off the registry? Please call 651-215-8705 or for greater Minnesota 1-800-397-6124 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
Nursing Assistant Resources
- Staying on the Nursing Assistant Registry
- Name or Address Changes
- Nursing Assistant Registry Update Form
- Nursing Assistant Registry Training/Testing Sites
- How to be Placed on the Nursing Assistant Registry
- Who Can Work as a Nursing Assistant?
- Training Program Test Data
- Nursing Assistant Registry Information for LPN and/or RN Students
- Study Materials For the Test/Pearson Vue Candidate Handbook
- Interstate Endorsement Forms
- Registration Number
Duplicate Nursing Assistant Certificates
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)