Programs & Initiatives in Schools
Asthma Friendly Schools Mini-Grant Program
A: Health Office Asthma Data
Schools/districts will develop a system to monitor attendance rates among students who have asthma. Schools/districts that do not already have asthma entered as a health condition in the school data management system may apply for A-1. Schools/districts that already have included asthma in their data management system can apply for A-2. Funds may also be used to pay for IT assistance (either official IT staff or IT-savvy staff) to complete the project.
- Develop or improve a process for identifying students with asthma (i.e., case-finding) and enter asthma as a health condition in the school health office’s data management system.
- Create a report in the data management system that calculates attendance rates for students with and without asthma.
- MDH How-To Guide for Tracking School Attendance for Students with Asthma (PDF)
This document contains instructions for calculating a measure that school health offices can use to monitor asthma control among their students with asthma. The attendance measure compares the overall attendance rate for students with asthma with the overall attendance rate for students who do not have asthma.
- Components of Asthma Management in the Health Office - Model (Word)
- Components of Asthma Management in the School - Model (Word)
- Ages 5-11 Parent/Guardian Asthma Questionnaire-Control (Word)
- Ages 12+ Parent/Guardian Asthma Questionnaire-Control (Word)
- Asthma Friendly School Resources – Tools and Forms
These forms can be used by a school health office to collect information on asthma symptoms and triggers from the parent or caregiver and use to assess a student’s asthma control.