Programs & Initiatives in Schools
Asthma Friendly Schools Mini-Grant Program
F: Health Office Staff and School Personnel Training
Enhance the knowledge and skills of school health office staff and other school personnel (teachers, secretaries, principals, Paras, PE teachers etc.) related to asthma, asthma self-management and best practices for asthma management in schools and specific school or district policy and procedures that support students with asthma.
- Plan and conduct one or more training sessions for school health office staff to increase knowledge and skills related to asthma, asthma self-management and current best practices for asthma management based on EPR-3 guidelines. You must train at least 80% of school health office staff.
- Plan and conduct one or more in-service or training sessions educating school personnel on asthma basics, symptom management, use of asthma action plans, trigger reduction practices and district/school asthma- related policies and procedures. You must train at least 50% of school (per building) personnel.
- A variety of data collection forms, letter templates, and authorization forms that can be customized for use in your school or district are available at Asthma Friendly School Resources.
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) resources for asthma management in schools
Resources available here include the Asthma Quick Care Reference, Managing Asthma: A Guide for Schools, and Asthma and Physical Activity in the School.
- More information about school health policies is available at Asthma Friendly School Resources.