Trainings & Conferences
Stroke/STEMI Regional Workshops
in Rural Minnesota
The Cardiovascular Health Unit is pleased to announce the 2017 regional workshop series. The series will focus on best practices for stroke and heart attack patients in the emergency department settings.
How to Register
Regional Workshops Registration 2017. Select the date and location of the workshop you would like to attend. This workshop is free to attend. A light breakfast, lunch and workshop materials are included.
The workshops are scheduled from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The same content will be presented at each location so you only need to attend one day.
- September 7, 2017: Marshall at the Southwest Minnesota State University
- September 19, 2017: Owatonna at the Holiday Inn & Suites Owatonna
- October 4, 2017: Detroit Lakes at the Holiday Inn on the Lake
- October 24, 2017: Duluth at the Holiday Inn & Suites Downtown
The Minnesota Department of Health is offering 5.75 contact hours for nursing. This workshop also fulfills the annual education requirements for Acute Stroke Ready Hospital designation.
- ED nurses, managers, directors and supervisors
- Stroke / STEMI coordinators
- Nurse and EMS educators
- Clinicians involved in the care of stroke and STEMI patients
- Identify best practice guidelines for stroke/STEMI protocols and continuing education in the emergency department.
- Discuss care pathways for patients presenting with NSTEMI and unstable angina
- Explain indications and management of medications for patients receiving IV alteplase or lytics for stroke/STEMI.
- Describe a neurological assessment for stroke patients and ECG interpretation for cardiac patients.
8 to 8:30 a.m. Sign-In & Breakfast
8:30 to 9 a.m. Welcome and Public Awareness
9 to 10 a.m. Stroke Code 101 in the Rural ED
10 to 10:15 a.m. Morning break & exhibits
10:15 to 11:15 a.m. Acute Cardiac Care in the Rural ED
11:15 to 12:30 p.m. 12-Lead ECG Refresher
12:30 to 1:15 p.m. Lunch & exhibits
1:15 to 2 p.m. Case Studies in Stroke
2 to 2:45 p.m. Case Studies in Cardiac Care
2:45 to 3 p.m. Afternoon break & exhibits
3 to 3:30 p.m. Swap Talk Exercise: Think and share
3:30 to 4 p.m. IV Alteplase Demonstration
4 p.m. Evaluation & Adjourn
Please contact Megan Hicks, Quality Improvement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-5436.