Trainings & Conferences
Zero Suicide Academy®
National Suicide Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
“It is critically important to design for zero even when it may not be theoretically possible. When you design for zero, you surface different ideas and approaches that if you’re only designing for 90 percent may not materialize. It’s about purposefully aiming for a higher level of performance.” Thomas Priselac, president and CEO of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Suicide is 100% preventable.
Using Zero Suicide as a model, Community Partners Preventing Suicide is working with 16 health and behavioral health care agencies across the state. Community Partners Preventing Suicide is completing a two-day training for selected agencies across the state to help them get started in implementing Zero Suicide.
What is Zero Suicide?
Zero Suicide is both a concept and a practice. Zero Suicide provides a framework for systemic, clinical suicide prevention in health and behavioral health care systems, and provides a specific set of best practices and tools. The Zero Suicide approach aims to improve outcomes for people at risk of suicide in health care systems, with a focus on safety and reducing errors.
Zero Suicide is a widely used practice to prevent suicide. Zero Suicide is
- A goal of the Minnesota State Suicide Prevention Plan
- A priority of the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention
- A goal of the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- A project of the Suicide Prevention Resource Center
Zero Suicide Academy®
The Zero Suicide Academy® is a two-day training for senior leaders of health and behavioral health care organizations working towards reducing suicide among patients. Participants learn how to use best practices within their organization, and processes to improve care and safety.
Zero Suicide Core Components
- Commitment to reducing suicide from leadership
- Create a standardized screening and risk assessment for those receiving care
- Develop suicide care management plans with each patient
- Train competent and caring staff
- Use effective, evidence-based treatments
- Follow-up with patients during their care transitions
- Look for ways to use data collection to inform change and improve quality in health care
Contact Tanya Carter at email@example.com to learn more about the next Zero Suicide Academy®.
Any heath care agency can independently get involved with Zero Suicide. Learn more about how to get started with Zero Suicide.