Minnesota Tribal Asthma Resource Network (MTARN)
The Minnesota Tribal Asthma Resource Network is a virtual community of health professionals who provide asthma care to Minnesota’s American Indian tribal communities. The purpose of the network is to build an educational and process sharing connection between health professionals who treat American Indians with asthma in Minnesota and bordering communities.
Who should join?
Health Professionals who work directly with Minnesota’s American Indian and tribal communities: Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists, Respiratory Therapists, LPH, CHR’s, Tribal Health Directors, etc.
The MTARN network is being developed by the White Earth Health Center, an Indian Health Service community based clinic serving the White Earth Band of Ojibwe in cooperation with the MDH Asthma program. Funding is provided through a grant with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
For information on how to participate in the network please contact:
- Deanna Pepper, White Earth Health Center, Ph 218-983-6212
- Susan Ross, MDH Asthma Program, Ph 651-201-5629
'Health of Many Nations' Conference
November 7 & 8, 2013
Minnesota State Technical & Community College
Thank you to the many professionals who helped to make the first MTARN conference a success! Copies of presentation materials from the conference are available for download (below) in PDF format only.
Speakers' Slide Sets
- Asthma in the Primary Care Practice – Asthma care in tribal communities: Addressing challenges, improving Care*
Dr. Sofia Ali, M.D., MPH (PDF:8.75MB/84 pages)
- Medication Therapy Management – Filling the needs of tribal communities*
Dr.Wendy Brown, Pharm.D., PA-C, AE-C (PDF: 8.65KB/26 pages)
- Diagnosing Asthma: Spirometry & interpretation in the primary care practice setting, “Yes, it CAN be done!"*
Joseph Buhain, MBA, RRT (PDF: 8MB/59 pages)
- Team-Based Management of Hypertension in the Primary Care Clinic & Hypertension Medication Management – Taking medications as prescribed; addressing the barriers*
Dr. Mike Pipestone, MD & Dr. Wendy Brown, Pharm.D., PA-C, AE-C
(PDF: 1.50MB/19 pages)
- Screen, Counsel, Refer & Follow-Up – Introduction to a new model of preventive care*
Millicent Simenson, LPN & Roberta Decker, LPN
(PDF: 45KB/27 pages)
- safeTALK – Suicide prevention training for health professionals
Amy Nathe, MS, & Julie Smith, MS*
(PDF: 2.25MB/63 pages)