Information for schools
- A Field Guide To Salad Bars In Schools (PDF) offers a one-stop guide for schools offering this great lunch room program for their students.
- Section 1: Introduction (PDF)
- Section 2: Food Safety (PDF)
- Section 3: Operations (PDF)
- Section 4: Menu and Service (PDF)
- Section 5: Marketing (PDF)
- PowerPoint presentation
- Fact sheet for schools (PDF)
- Fact sheet for supporters (PDF)
- Outreach card (PDF)
- Superintendent sample letter (DOCX)
- Safe Use of Salad Bars in Schools (PDF)
Be part of part of the salad bar movement!
Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools is a national campaign to connect donors and schools with the goal of giving away free salad bars. All schools—both public and private—that participate in the National School Lunch Program are eligible.
How does it work?
Across the country businesses are working to improve children’s nutrition by helping bring salad bars to schools. Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools offers them the option of donating to a general fund or to donate all or part of the cost of a salad bar to the school of their choice. Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools then matches schools to donors, and the kids are the winners.
How do I apply for a salad bar?
To receive a salad bar, all you have to do is complete an online application at the Let's Move Salad Bars to Schools website. Signatures of your Superintendent and Nutrition Services Director are required. You may apply to receive a salad bar for every school in your district. Schools who have received Healthier US School Challenge Bronze, Silver or Gold distinctions receive priority status in getting their salad bar.
Applying lets local and national donors know that you are looking for a salad bar. While you are not guaranteed a salad bar within a set time period, there may be a donor waiting for you—you don’t know unless you apply. The application is only three pages in length with just one open-ended question. Be sure to sell your program!