Active Living Plans and Resources
How communities are becoming more active
Across Minnesota, communities are making it easier to bike and walk. Cities and counties are working on creating master walk and bike plans; updating municipal plans to include Complete Streets with sidewalks and crosswalks; increasing access to connected walking and bicycling networks; connecting and promoting trail systems; and collaborating on projects that improve walkability and bikeability in communities.
MDH can help. With support from the Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP), local public health agencies across the state are working with communities that want to make active living easier.
The SHIP Active Living for Communities Guide to Implementation provides a description and scope of the strategy. Detailed strategy information can be found on the Grantee Support – Implementation web page.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Active living plan examples
Pedestrian and Bike Plans
- Rochester Area Bicycle Master Plan
- City of Norwood Young America: 2003 Sidewalks, Trails, and Thoroughfare Plan (PDF)
- City of Park Rapids: 2008 Parks and Trails Plan (PDF)
- City of Park Rapids: 2011 Comprehensive Sidewalks and Trails Plan Update (PDF)
Parks and Trails Plans
- City of Sebeka 2014 Comprehensive Plan (PDF)
- Resilient Region Sustainability Plan: Region 5 source of information pertaining to economic vitality, environmental stewardship and quality of life factors gathered for private (individuals & businesses) public (local municipalities & communities) and non-profit agencies (social advocates & philanthropic agencies) who choose to explore the sustainability efforts that have been vested in the Central Minnesota five county region.
Active Living / Transportation Coalition Plans
- Arrowhead Regional Development Commission’s 2012 Regional Active Transportation Plan (PDF)
- Headwaters Regional Development Commission 2010 Active Living Toolkit (PDF)
- North Country Active Transportation Update 2013 (PDF)
- North Country Health Board’s 2010 Active Living Plan (PDF)
- Polk, Norman and Mahnomen 2013 Active Transportation Plan (PDF)
- Region 5 Development Commission 2013 Active Transportation Plan (PDF)
- Active Living Plan for Becker, Clay, Otter Tail, and Wilkin Counties – 2013 (PDF)
School Travel Plans: see Minnesota Department of Transportation Safe Routes to School
Active Living Resolutions
- Arrowhead Regional Development Commission 2013 Resolution: Authorizing Public Health Representative to the Regional Transportation Advisory Committee (PDF)
- City of Grand Marais 2011 Active Living Resolution (PDF)
- Town of Thomson 2008 Active Living Resolution (PDF)
- City of Battle Lake 2011 Complete Streets Resolution (PDF)
Active Living Related Policies and Ordinances
- Complete Streets
- Snow and Ice Removal
- Sidewalk ordinance
- Bicycle Parking
- Walking and Bicycling
Looking for more information? There are examples of Active Living Request for Proposals to create related plans and surveys available to better under understand community needs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.