Tobacco Prevention and Control:
Tobacco-Free Communities in Minnesota (TFC)
The goal of this funding is to reduce the impact of tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke on children, youth and young adults in populations with disparate use and exposure rates.
Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
- More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.
- Smoking cigarettes, pipes, or cigars increases the risk of dying from cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, and oral cavity.
- Smokeless tobacco is a known cause of human cancer.
Numerous studies have confirmed that exposure to secondhand smoke causes many serious illnesses in nonsmokers, including heart disease, respiratory problems, low birth weight, and sudden infant death. Secondhand smoke is estimated to be responsible for 3,000 deaths from lung cancer per year among nonsmokers in the United States. Secondhand smoke accounts for up to 62,000 heart disease deaths annually in the U.S.
To counter these threats to health the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has awarded TFC grants in two categories:
- Projects that address tobacco-use and prevention in targeted populations, and
- Technical assistance and training for TFC grantees to help them in meet their funding goals and objectives.
The grant funding cycle is for seventeen months (February 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014).
TFC grantee resources
- TFC Grantee List (PDF: 373KB/1 page)
- TFC Reference Guide (PDF: 983KB/23 pages)
- TFC Grantee Forms:
- Monthly Progress Form (MSWord: 60KB/4 pages)
- Out-of-state Travel Request Form (MSWord: 361KB/3 pages)
Note: Expense reimbursement rates while traveling for TFC-related grant activities can be found on pages 61-63 in the Commissioner's Plan (PDF: 555KB/133 pages).
- TFC TA & Training Providers Form: Story Bank Form (MSWord: 20KB/1 page)
- For Reference: 2012 TFC Request for Proposals (RTF: 1,218KB/70 pages)