Data Collection Request
To enable MDH's legislatively mandated study of the feasibility of state-based risk adjustment, the Minnesota Legislature authorized the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to collect additional data from health plans in the small group and individual health insurance markets needed to supplement the Minnesota All-payer Claims Database (MN APCD) and conduct risk adjustment modeling with standard risk adjusters (Laws of Minnesota 2013, chapter 108, article 1, section 65).
MDH has worked closely with its technical vendor, Milliman-New York, to identify the minimally necessary data elements needed to supplement the MN APCD. In finalizing the data request that is directed at plans that sold non-grandfathered policies in Minnesota's small group and individual health insurance markets in 2013 or 2014, MDH has:
- Considered input from plans on reporting burden and alternatives,
- Significantly reduced the request, and
- Simplified a number of data elements.
MDH is interested in ensuring a streamlined data submission process and thus conducted a webinar for data submitters on Thursday, June 4th, 2015. Please see below for webinar materials.
The data request submitted to health plans consists of the following documents:
- Letter from Assistant Commissioner Munson-Regala (Word)
- Data Submission Guide (Excel)
- How MDH has considered plan input in finalizing the request (Word)
- Frequently asked questions (Word)
Data Submission Webinar
MDH conducted a webinar on Thursday, June 4th, 2015 to walk through the data request and answer questions from data submitters. Materials include:
- MN State-Based Risk Adjustment Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- A recording of the June 4th webinar (44 minutes) can be streamed online.
Questions? Please contact:
MDH - Health Economics Program
P.O. Box 64882
St Paul, MN 55164-0882
Phone: (651) 201-3554