OT License Instructions - MDH

Application and Instructions for a Full License:
Occupational Therapist


You must have a Minnesota Occupational Therapy (OT) license before you can begin practicing in Minnesota as an OT or use protected titles. The processing time for a full license application is 5 to 30 days after we have received all documentation required for the license. The full license application can take up to 90 days to process. If you need a license sooner you have the option of applying for a Temporary OT License. The Temporary license can be issued 5-10 business days after our office receives the completed application, your official transcript and the fee.

Temporary License Application - New Graduate

Temporary License Application - NBCOT


You must select one of the following application methods. Please read the description for each method to determine how you will apply.

If you have held or currently hold a credential as an occupational therapist in another state you must provide the documentation required in question 15, regardless of the method used for application.

Methods of Licensing: Specific Information and Instructions.

Click the method you choose below for the instructions and application forms you will need.

A. Licensing by Equivalency (PDF)
You may qualify for licensing by equivalency under Minnesota Statutes §148.6412 if you hold a current certificate issued by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Your certification with NBCOT must be current, and you must request NBCOT to send directly to the Department of Health verification that you are certified. If you are credentialed in another state and you are certified by NBCOT, please submit your application using this method.

B. General Licensing (PDF)
You may qualify for licensing as an occupational therapist under Minnesota Statutes §148.6408, if you have completed your education and passed the NBCOT examination. You must arrange to have a copy of your official college transcript sent directly to the Department of Health from your school. Please request that NBCOT exam results be sent directly to the Department of Health.

C. Licensing by Reciprocity (PDF)
You may qualify for licensing by reciprocity under Minnesota Statutes §148.6415 if you hold a current and unrestricted credential as an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant in another jurisdiction, but you do not have NBCOT certification. To complete your application for licensing by reciprocity, you must request the licensing agency in the state in which you hold a current credential send the Minnesota Department of Health the information required in question number 15 and a copy of the state statute and/or administrative rule that was in effect at the time your credential was first issued and that describes that state’s qualifications for your credential.

Updated Thursday, April 06, 2017 at 07:29AM