PHYSICAL AGENT MODALITIES (PAMs)
Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants MUST receive approval from MDH BEFORE you use PAMs in your practice. To be approved, the following must occur:
- You must successfully complete a PAMs training course. Courses must be approved by the PAM's Committee of the Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Some courses have already been reviewed and approved by the PAM's Committee. For a list of approved PAMs courses see the Approved Physical Agent Modalities (PAMs) Courses below. For questions about the Occupational Therapist (OT) PAMs approval contact Kim Ruberg at 651-201-3725 or Kimberly.Ruberg@state.mn.us. For questions about the Occupational Therapist Assistant(OTA) PAMs approval contact Patti Fuller at 651-201-5159 or Patti.Fuller@state.mn.us.
- Submit an application to MDH for approval to use PAMs. Please use the following link to access all the information and forms needed to apply for Physical Agent Modalities
- a. Information for Occupational Therapist Application
to Independently use PAMs in Minnesota (pdf: 29.81kb/5 pages)
- b. Information for Occupational Therapy Assistant Application to be supervised in the use of PAMs in Minnesota (pdf: 119.50 kb/6 pages
- You will be notified in writing that your application has been either approved by MDH or Sent to the PAM's committee for review.
- The PAMs review committee process takes six (6) weeks.
- If additional information is needed, MDH will contact you by email, phone or letter with further instructions.
- Mere submission of an application is NOT approval.
- Submission of your certification of completion of a PAMs course as part of your continuing education report is NOT an application for approval and no action will be taken by MDH staff to process your approval.
- It is your responsibility to apply for approval to use PAMs.