Body Art Establishment Information
If you want to open a body art establishment in the State of Minnesota, you will need to fill out the Body Art Establishment Application (PDF: 135KB/3 pages). You will want to make sure you are in a MDH regulated area. Delegated agencies include: Anoka, Hennepin and Steele counties and the cities of Minneapolis, Maplewood, Brooklyn Park, Bloomington, Richfield, and Edina. The fee for a body art establishment license is $1,000 plus a $100 surcharge for a total of $1,100.
If you would like to apply for a body art establishment license, you must:
- provide a floor plan of the establishment, including equipment placement;
- provide floors, walls, and ceiling finishes;
- proof of compliance with local zoning and building ordinances and codes;
- provide name of infections/hazardous waste hauler/plan;
- provide documentation of LLC or filing with the Secretary of State's Office;
- provide tax ID information;
- provide all employee information;
- fill out the Body Art Establishment Application (PDF: 135KB/3 pages);
- pay the fee of $1,100 made payable to "Treasurer, State of Minnesota."
Length of Licensure: Establishment licenses are valid for up to three years. All establishment licenses expire on September 30th. The first renewal fee will be a prorated amount based upon the month your license was issued.
Processing Time: Up to 30 days AFTER application paperwork is considered complete.
Provisional Status: All initial establishment MDH licenses are issued as "PROVISIONAL". That status will remain in effect until your establishment has been inspected and approved by MDH staff. To help you prepare for your inspection, please refer to the Body Art Establishment Inspection Checklist (PDF: 180KB/2 pages). (NOTE: This form is subject to change.) During the inspection process, the inspector will note any deficiencies in your establishment and you will be given a specified period of time in which to correct the deficiency. Failure to correct a deficiency may result in the shutdown of your establishment.