Full Technician Licensing Information, by Reciprocity
Applicants for Minnesota body art technician licensure who are licensed, certified or registered in other states may qualify for licensure by reciprocity. If you have not been licensed by a state that Minnesota accepts reciprocity from, you will need to begin the temporary technician licensure process. If you have questions as to whether or not we will accept your state or counties accreditation, please contact 651-201-3770. You will only be issue a license by reciprocity if your license is in good standing AND the Minnesota Commissioner of Health determines that the requirements for your current license, certification, or registration meets or exceeds Minnesota's requirements.
To apply for licensure by reciprocity, you must:
- be 18 years or older;
- have the jurisdiction of your current license, certification, or registration mail directly to the Minnesota Department of Health a completed Body Art Licensing Verification of Credential Form (PDF: 124KB/2 pages) stating that you are in good standing;
- a copy of the statutes/requirements* for your current licensure, certification, or registry;
- supply a copy of a current, legal ID showing proof of age;
- supply a copy of a current course certification (taken in the last year) in bloodborne pathogens, prevention of disease transmission, infection control, and aseptic technique;
- complete the Body Art Technician License Application (PDF: 232KB/5 pages); and
- pay the fee of $110 payable to "Treasurer, State of Minnesota."
*The Commissioner has determined that requirements in Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Virginia meet or exceed Minnesota's requirements. If your license, certification, or registration is from one of those states, you do not have to submit a copy of the state's licensure requirements.
Length of Licensure: Full technician licenses are valid for up to two years. All full technician licenses expire on March 31st. The first renewal fee will be a prorated amount based upon the month your license was issued.
Processing Time: Up to 30 days AFTER application paperwork is considered complete.