Mortuary Science Applications and Forms
When submitting your application you must submit all documents and fees listed on the application. Failure to do so will result in your application being mailed back to you.
- Application to Renew a License to Operate a Funeral Establishment (Word)
- Application for License to Operate a Funeral Establishment (Word)
- Application to Renew License to Operate a Crematory (Word)
- Application for License to Operate a Crematory (Word)
- Change of Ownership Crematory (Word)
- Change of Ownership Funeral Establishment (Word)
Minnesota Statute 149.20 Subd. 6 (b) requires interns to complete 25 case reports in each of the following areas; embalmings, arrangements, and funeral services. Please fax your case reports in as they are completed to prevent processing and licensing delays. Interns are required to submit their application and fee for initial licensure two weeks prior to completion of an internship. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Mortuary Science Section at the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-3829.
When submitting the Internship Registration Application you must include all documents and fee listed on the application in order for it to be processed. Failure to submit all documents and fee together will result in your application being mailed back to you.
- Mortuary Science Internship Registration (Word)
- Notification of Transfer by Licensed Intern (PDF)
- Internship Embalming/Funeral Case Report Form (PDF)
- Internship Funeral Service Case Report Form (PDF)
- Internship Funeral Arrangement Case Report Form (PDFs)
- Internship Time Sheet (PDF)
- Preceptor Acknowledgement Letter (PDF)
Letter of Non-Contagious
As of December 1, 2015, any funeral establishments that need to request a letter of non-conatgious are now required to complete a Request for Letter of Non-Contagious form and submit with the required supportive documentation before a letter can be issued by one of the Mortuary Science Program staff. Please allow at least 24 business hours of processing time for each letter request.
Mortuary Science Licensing Exam
Mortuary Science Licensing
- Application for Initial License to Practice Mortuary Science (Word)
- Application to Renew a Mortician License (PDF)
- Application for Mortuary Science License to Endorse License (Word)
- Application for Mortician Emeritus Status License (Word)
Pre-Need Trust Forms
All funeral providers must submit a separate completed Pre-Need Trust Fund Report Cover Sheet for each location annually. The Pre-Need Trust Fund Report must include all funds held in trust by the funeral provider as required by Minnesota Statutes 149A.97, subd. 2. Funds held in insurance or annuity products are exempt from the reporting requirement.
Submittion Deadline. You must file a Pre-Need Trust Fund Report by March 31st each year.
If a location has pre-need funds to report:
- Submit a fee of $25 for each location with funds to report. Please make checks payable to: Commissioner of Finance. You may write one check for multiple locations.
- Use one of the following ledger methods to report accounts:
- Pre-Need Trust Ledger.
- Customized Pre-Need Form. You may submit your own form if the information is consistent with that required on the enclosed ledger form. However, even if you use your own form, you must complete the box in the bottom left corner of the MDH Pre-Need Trust Ledger. If you do not complete the box on the MDH ledger, your paperwork will be returned.
- Pre-Need Excel Spreadsheet. To use this method, complete the spreadsheet and after saving the file for your records, print the "Summary Sheet" from the spreadsheet and mail along with the Pre-Need Trust Fund Cover Sheet and any fees to the Mortuary Science Section.
- Total all accounts correctly, complete the box in the lower left corner, sign and have notarized where indicated. If you fail to follow these instruction, your forms will be returned to you.
- You must still complete and submit the Pre-Need Trust Fund Report Cover Sheet for each location
- Check the "No" box and complete information to identify the funeral establishment.
- You do not have to pay a filing fee.
- You may fax or email your cover sheet to us.
If a location has no pre-need funds to report:
- Pre-Need Trust Report (Word)
- Pre-Need Trust Fund Ledger Fillable Template (Excel)
- Pre-Need Trust Fund Ledger Manual Template (Word)