Clostridium difficile Guidelines and Resources
Guidelines and recommendations
- Five Things Physicians and Patients Should Question
A list from the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) of inappropriate and overused clinical practices related to antibiotic prescribing and C. difficile. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Clostridium difficile Infections: Publications & Guidelines
CDC C. difficile guidelines. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Guide to the Elimination of Clostridium difficile in Healthcare Settings (PDF:2.56MB/100 pages)
APIC Elimination Guide. Large file advisory- file may take some time to download. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for Clostridium difficile Infection in Adults: 2010 Update by SHEA/IDSA
2010 SHEA/IDSA recommendations regarding epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment, and infection control and environmental management for C. difficile. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Clostridium difficile Infection in Infants and Children: Policy Statement
For CDI testing and treatment recommendations for infants and children refer to the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Clostridium difficile (CDI) - a priority healthcare-associated infection
Collaborative Healthcare-Associated Infection Network (CHAIN), CDI targeted infections and events. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Dentistry
American Dental Association recommendations for use of antibiotics before dental treatment for patients with certain heart conditions and those with joint replacements.
For Acute Care
- Strategies to prevent Clostridium difficile infections in acute care hospitals
2008 SHEA/IDSA Compendium of infection prevention recommendations for acute care hospitals. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Safe from Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) Toolkit/Roadmap
This two-tiered intervention approach (core and enhanced) includes four topic areas: early recognition of patients with CDI, isolation precautions, environmental cleaning and disinfection, and antimicrobial stewardship.
For Long Term Care
- Clostridium difficile in Long-Term Care Facilities for the Elderly
2002 SHEA guidelines for Clostridium difficile in long-term care facilities
- Algorithms for Prevention and Management of Clostridium difficile Infections in Long-term Care Facilities (PDF: 173 KB/11 pages)
MDH guidance for Clostridium difficile prevention and control including: early recognition and testing, Contact Precautions, room placement, identifying roommates, environmental cleaning and disinfection, and social and activity precautions.
- Burden of Clostridium difficile Infection in the United States
N Engl J Med. 2015 Feb 26; 372(9): 825-834.
- Death due to community-associated Clostridium difficile in a woman receiving prolonged antibiotic therapy for suspected Lyme disease
Clin Infect Dis. August 1, 2010;51(1):369-70. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Epidemiology of community-associated Clostridium difficile infection, 2009 through 2011
JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Jul; 173(14): 1359-67.Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Effect of nucleic acid amplification testing on population-based incidence rates of Clostridium difficile infection
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 November; 57(9):1304-1307.Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Impact of changes in Clostridium difficile testing practices on stool rejection policies and C. difficile positivity rates across multiple laboratories in the United States
J Clin Microbiol. 2014 Feb; 52(2): 632-4.Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Clostridium difficile infection among children across diverse U.S. geographic locations
Pediatrics. 2014 April; 133(4): 1-8. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- NAP1 strain type predicts outcomes from Clostridium difficile infection
Clin Infect Dis. 2014 May 15; 58(10): 1394-1400. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Determinants of Clostridium difficile infections across diverse U.S. geographic locations
Open Forum Infect Dis (Summer 2014) 1 (2): doi:10.1093/ofid/ofu047. Attention: Non-MDH link.
- Current Status of Clostridium difficle Infection Epidemiology
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Aug 1; 55(Suppl 2): S65-S70. Attention: Non-MDH link.