Step 5: Prepare to Hold Community Meetings
Toolkit for Community Organizers:
Steps for Addressing Chlamydia in Your Community
- Announce upcoming meetings - press release
- Decide on meeting facilitation and select a meeting facilitator.
- Identify a recorder to take meeting notes
Role of the Recorder
- Records responses of each person on flip chart
- Records exactly what is said – does NOT edit, paraphrase or summarize.
- The recorder starts writing as soon as the person starts speaking in order to keep up. If the speaker moves quickly, ask them to repeat.
- When the notes are read back to group,read exactly what is written. No paraphrasing, summarizing or editing. This is not a presentation – it is reporting what was written.
- The facilitator takes over your role as Recorder when it is your turn to respond. You respond next to last, just before the facilitator.
- Set agenda; have a clear outcome in mind
- Choose and prepare handouts
Kandiyohi County & CHAS
An existing coalition member was contracted to facilitate Strategy Group meetings. This individual had a long history of working with youth and parents in the community. She possessed skills in communication, facilitation and presentation. CHAS chose a Collective Leadership model of facilitation.
Minnesota handouts on chlamydia:
Strategy group meetings were held weekly in October 2012.
Strategy Group Meetings 1-4: Agenda - final (Word)
Strategy Group Meeting 2:
Strategy Group Meeting 3:
Strategy Group Meeting 4:
Content Notice: This site contains HIV or STD prevention messages that may not be appropriate for all audiences. Since HIV and other STDs are spread primarily through sexual practices or by sharing needles, prevention messages and programs may address these topics. If you are not seeking such information or may be offended by such materials, please exit this web site.