All travelers to areas where cholera has occurred should observe the following recommendations:
- Drink only water that you have boiled or treated with chlorine or iodine.
- Other safe beverages include tea and coffee made with boiled water and carbonated, bottled beverages with no ice.
- Eat only foods that have been thoroughly cooked and are still hot, or fruit that you have peeled yourself.
- Avoid undercooked or raw fish or shellfish, including
Make sure all vegetables are cooked avoid salads.
- Avoid foods and beverages from street vendors.
- Do not bring perishable seafood back to the United States.
A simple rule of thumb is "Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it."
Do you suspect that you have a foodborne illness? Visit reporting suspected foodborne illnesses.