Long-Term Care: Influenza
Subscribe to Long-term Care Influenza Information
Get an e-mail when new long-term care influenza information is posted.
- Interim Guidance for Influenza Outbreak Management in Long-Term Care Facilities
Guidance from CDC for managing influenza outbreaks. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Influenza Update for Long-Term Care Facilities in Minnesota (PDF: 42KB/2 pages)
Includes guidance on influenza prevention and control in long-term care facilities.
- Preparing for Influenza Season
Vaccination plans, staff training, surveillance systems, and facility preparation can all be implemented even before the flu season begins.
- Long-term Care Facility Visitor Management Guidelines while Influenza is Circulating in the Community
Guidelines for all visitors as well as those visiting ill residents.
- Influenza Vaccine Information for Health Professionals
Get the latest information on the flu vaccine.
- LTC Providers: Join the Health Alert Network
Find out how to make sure your long-term care agency is receiving MDH health alerts.
- Minnesota Long Term Care Preparedness Toolkit (PDF: 1.34MB/85 pages)
General emergency preparedness planning for long-term care facilities, created by an inter-agency group.
- Influenza-like Illness in Elderly Persons
Elderly persons may not present the same symptoms when they have influenza-like illness.
- Infection Prevention and Control: Long-Term Care
When caring for residents with suspected or confirmed influenza, follow Standard Precautions AND Respiratory Precautions.
- Triage Guidance for Licensed and Certified Home Care Providers
Suggestions for staff allocation during a pandemic.
Call MDH at 651-201-5414 or 1-877-676-5414 if you have an influenza outbreak in your facility. MDH will provide guidance about testing.
- Suspected/Confirmed Influenza Outbreak: Long-Term Care
Things to do if you have a suspected or confirmed influenza outbreak.
- Submitting Influenza Specimens to MDH for Laboratory Testing: Long-Term Care
Instructions on obtaining and submitting specimens for influenza testing to the MDH Public Health Lab.
- Antiviral Medications for Influenza Treatment and Prevention: Long-Term Care
Antiviral medications may be used in the treatment and/or prevention of influenza in long-term care facilities.
- Influenza-like Illness (ILI) Line List for Long-Term Care Facilities (PDF: 49KB/2 pages)
Two-page form to help you collect data on each resident with ILI.