Mark of Excellence
Mark of Excellence is a partnership with community vaccinators to respond to public concerns about safety of influenza vaccinations in outreach settings (grocery stores, retail sites, pharmacies, and drop-in clinics). As part of the program the MDH Immunization Program provides training and site visits to assure that vaccines provided outside of a regular clinic setting are handled and administered according to best practices. Mark of Excellence is a voluntary, quality assurance program. Certification is on an annual basis.
- Create a unique program just for community vaccinators.
- Provide training to community vaccinators who deliver influenza vaccine in non-traditional settings.
- Increase consumer confidence in influenza clinics in alternative or outreach settings.
- Training includes information on the following:
- Proper storage, handling, and transportation of vaccines
- Guidelines for documentation and administration
- Immunization practice information from the MN Boards of Nursing and Pharmacy
- Recommendations for influenza and pneumococcal vaccine
- Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC), the statewide immunization registry
- Site Visit
During the site visit staff will review storage, handling and transportation policies, and documentation practices. Staff will then make appropriate recommendations and distribute related materials.
- Completion of training and site visit
Community vaccinators who attend training and complete a site visit will receive:
- Mark of Excellence certificate
- Buttons and posters
- Mark of Excellence logo
- Community vaccinators
List of Mark of Excellence community vaccinators you can contact.
- Local public health departments
Contact information for county/city local public health departments in Minnesota.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Vaccines & Immunizations
Information from CDC about vaccines and immunizations. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Immunization Action Coalition
Vaccination information for healthcare professionals. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Minnesota Board of Nursing
Information on nursing licensure and Board activities. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Minnesota Board of Pharmacy
Information regarding the activities of the Board, pharmacy regulations for the State of Minnesota, and points of contact for the Board and staff. Attention: Non-MDH link