Weekly Influenza & Respiratory Activity: Statistics
to Weekly Influenza Activity
Get an email alert every week during the flu season when the influenza report is posted.
May 12-18, 2013 (week 20 of 2013)
This is the last weekly update for the 2012-13 influenza season. Weekly updates will resume in October 2013.
All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
PDF version for print: Weekly Influenza & Respiratory Activity: Statistics (PDF: 646KB/8 pages)
Influenza Activity Surveillance
- The percentage of tests positive for influenza during week 20 as reported from the MN Lab System (MLS) Laboratory Influenza Surveillance Program
- rapid influenza testing: 2.1%
- PCR testing: 3.6%
- Viral culture: 1 influenza B positive
- The most commonly cultured strain identified so far this season at the MDH Public Health Laboratory is influenza A/H3.
- Since the start of the influenza season through week 18, there have been 3,088 persons hospitalized with influenza.
- Since the start of the influenza season through week 18, there have been 201 influenza-related deaths confirmed.
- Since the start of the influenza season through week 20, 209 outbreaks of influenza in long-term care have been reported.
- Since the start of the influenza season through week 20, 487 outbreaks of ILI in schools have been reported.
- The percentage of influenza-like illness visits to outpatient clinics involved in the U.S. Outpatient Influenza-like Illness Surveillance (ILINet) was below the regional baseline at 0%.
Circulating Respiratory Pathogen Surveillance
- Of specimens tested by PCR from 3 outpatient sites for circulating viral respiratory pathogens in the previous 3 weeks for which data are available:
- 17% were positive for rhinovirus
- 10% were positive for human metapneumovirus
- 5% were positive for coronavirus, of these
- 67% were positive for coronavirus OC43
- 33% were positive for coronavirus HKU1
- 3% were positive for influenza, of these
- 50% were positive for influenza B
- 50% were positive for influenza A/H3
- 3% were positive for parainfluenza virus, of these:
- 50% were positive for parainfluenza virus 1
- 50% were positive for parainfluenza virus 3
- 2% were positive for respiratory synctial virus (RSV)
- Of specimens culture positive for a viral pathogen at Minnesota’s 6 virology laboratories during week 20:
- 2 were positive for parainfluenza virus 3
- 1 was positive for adenovirus
- 1 was positive for respiratory synctial virus (RSV)
- 1 was positive for influenza B
Minnesota Influenza Activity Level
|Influenza Activity Level Definitions
Definitions of the weekly influenza activity estimates as reported by state and territorial epidemiologists.
National Influenza Activity Level
|Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report
Weekly influenza surveillance data prepared by the CDC. Attention: Non-MDH link
- 2009 H1N1 Influenza in Minnesota Epidemiology
Summary of H1N1 influenza from April 2009 - April 2010.
- Weekly Influenza Activity
Printable (PDF) versions of the weekly influenza activity pages for the 2012-13 season.
- Weekly Influenza Statistics Archive
Data for the past eight influenza seasons, including a summary of 2009 H1N1 influenza.
- About Influenza Statistics
Description on how influenza is monitored in Minnesota, along with links to CDC and WHO influenza reporting and annual summaries of influenza activity in Minnesota.