Vaccinating Staff, Protecting Patients
FluSafe is back in 2018-19! We are excited to resume programming this year to support and publicly recognize hospitals and long term care facilities commitment to high flu vaccination rates among health care personnel.
This season, facilities will select a barrier to health care personnel flu vaccination during registration to work to address throughout the season. Like in past seasons, track health care personnel* flu shots in the Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC). At the end of the season, facilities will confirm their MIIC flu vaccination rate and report how they worked to address the selected barrier. MDH will recognize facilities that achieve vaccination rates of 90% and higher and report on the work done to address selected barriers.
*For FluSafe, health care personnel is defined as all paid employees and licensed independent practitioners who are physically present in the health care facility for at least one working day from Oct. 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019.
Instructions for Participating
Registration was open through Nov. 30, 2018. Some items to keep in mind when registering:
- Register co-located hospitals and long term care facilities separately.
- Participants will select a barrier to health care personnel flu vaccination during registration to address throughout the season. See Vaccinating Health Care Workers for a list of barriers and potential strategies.
- At the end of the season, you’ll briefly report how the selected barrier was addressed.
- Your facility will need to finish tracking vaccinations by March 31, 2019.
- If your facility does not submit a final spreadsheet to MIIC by April 12, 2019, you will be unable to continue as a FluSafe participant in the 2018-19 season.
- If your facility does not confirm a final vaccination rate and report on selected barrier by May 30, 2019, MDH will be unable to include it in public recognition for the 2018-19 season.
- Recognition will require confirmed rates of 90% and higher and a report on the selected barrier by the dates noted above.
- MIIC and FluSafe Webinar
Recorded Jan. 11, 2017 live webinar on how to use MIIC to participate in FluSafe. Webinar sections start at the following times:
- Getting and Filling Out the Spreadsheet - 57 seconds
- Uploading the Spreadsheet - 23 minutes, 47 seconds
- Running FluSafe Reports - 27 minutes, 42 seconds
Streaming training may not work on all browsers or computers. If you have trouble, select "Recorded Sessions" in the left hand toolbar of the WebEx Training Center.
- Getting and Filling Out the Spreadsheet (PDF)
How to get and fill out a FluSafe spreadsheet to document your employee flu vaccination data.
- Uploading the Spreadsheet (PDF)
How to upload your FluSafe spreadsheet into MIIC.
- Running FluSafe Reports (PDF)
How to run FluSafe reports in MIIC to check your FluSafe data and calculate your current rate.
Contact the FluSafe Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-5503.
Statement of Support for the Minnesota Department of Health FluSafe Recognition Program (PDF)
Minnesota Alliance for Patient Safety (MAPS) statement of support for FluSafe.