Epidemiological Profile of HIV/AIDS in Minnesota

Risk Populations: Heterosexuals

Download this document: Epidemiological Profile of HIV/AIDS in Minnesota: Risk Populations: Heterosexuals (PDF) or (Word)

HIV/AIDS Prevalence among heterosexuals

Throughout the epidemic, heterosexual contact has been the predominate mode of HIV exposure reported among females in Minnesota. As of December 31st 2014, heterosexually acquired HIV infections accounted for 1,775 (22%) of living cases. Of the 1,775 heterosexual cases, 1,531 (86%) were among women and the remaining 244 (14%) were among men.

HIV Diagnoses among heterosexuals

Gender and Race/Ethnicity

The numbers of male cases attributed heterosexual contact have remained somewhat stable over the past decade. However, the trend varies by racial/ethnic group. The number of male newly diagnosed cases attributed to heterosexual contact was 6 in 2014. Heterosexual contact with a partner who has or is at increased risk for HIV infection was estimated to account for 2% of cases among white males diagnosed between 2012-2014, 10% of cases among African American males, 84% African-born males and 3% of Hispanic males. Heterosexual contact among American Indian and Asian men accounted for and estimated 18% and 0% of new infections from 2012-2014 respectively, but should be interpreted with caution as each of the groups had a small number of new diagnoses during the time period.

Heterosexual contact with a partner who has or is at increased risk for HIV infection is estimated to account for 86% of cases among white females diagnosed between 2012-2014, 93% of cases among African American females, 98% of African-born females, and 92% of Hispanic females. Heterosexual contact among American Indian women accounted for 75%, of new infections from 2012-2014, but should be interpreted with caution as this group had less than 12 new diagnoses during the time period. There was only one Asian female diagnosed with HIV during the time period and did not have a specified risk.

Treatment Cascade among Heterosexuals

There were 1,712 HIV positive persons with heterosexual contact as their identified risk included in the HIV Treatment Cascade analyses. Compared to the overall HIV treatment cascade in Minnesota, people who have an identified HIV risk of heterosexual contact have similar percentages of retention in care as well as viral suppression. There were 77 cases among heterosexuals reported in 2013 that were included in the linkage to care calculation. Heterosexuals have a slightly lower percentage of linkage to care than the overall cascade for Minnesota.

heterosexual by stage

 

Updated Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 11:54AM