Epidemiological Profile of HIV/AIDS in Minnesota: Risk Populations: Hispanic Persons - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Epidemiological Profile of HIV/AIDS in Minnesota

Risk Populations: Hispanic

Download this document: Epidemiological Profile of HIV/AIDS in Minnesota: Risk Populations: Hispanic (PDF) or (Word)

HIV/AIDS Prevalence among Hispanic Persons

As of December 31st 2014, there were 716 Hispanic persons living with HIV/AIDS in Minnesota. While this accounts for 9% of persons living with HIV/AIDS in Minnesota, Hispanic persons have more than three times the rate of people living with HIV than white, non-Hispanic persons (286.1 per 100,000 persons and 90.3 per 100,000 persons respectively).

HIV Diagnoses among Hispanic persons

Over the past ten years new infections among Hispanic persons in Minnesota has remained relatively stable from year to year. In 2014, there were 34 HIV diagnoses among Hispanics in Minnesota accounting for 11% of all HIV diagnoses that year.


In 2014, there were 28 new HIV diagnoses among Hispanic males. This is up from 23 diagnoses in 2013. The annual number of new infections diagnosed among Hispanic females continues to be quite small with six diagnoses in 2014.

Mode of Exposure

Of the 87 new HIV infections diagnosed among Hispanic males between 2012 and 2014, MSM and MSM/IDU accounted for an estimated 95% of diagnoses, while 3% were estimated to have heterosexual contact with someone with or at risk for HIV infection as their mode of exposure. The remaining 2% had and other mode of exposure which includes hemophilia, transplant, transfusion or mother with HIV or HIV risk.

Of the 16 Hispanic females diagnosed between 2012 and 2014, 92% had an estimated mode of exposure of heterosexual contact with someone with or at risk for HIV infection. The remaining 8% had a risk of injection drug use. However, the number of cases among Hispanic women during the years 2012-2014 is insufficient to make further generalizations regarding risk.

latino by mode

HIV Treatment Cascade among Hispanics

There were 677 HIV positive Hispanics included in the HIV Treatment Cascade analyses. Compared to the overall treatment cascade in Minnesota, Hispanics have a lower percentage of retention in care. Hispanics have the second lowest percent of viral suppression compared to other racial/ethnic groups at 56%.

There were 27 cases among Hispanics reported in 2013 that were included in the linkage to care calculation. Hispanics had a slightly lower percentage of linkage to care than the overall cascade at 85%.

latino by stage