Find out about the new HIV infections diagnosed in Minnesota in 2012.
- There were 315 new HIV infections reported in Minnesota in 2012, an increase of 8% from 2011
- Great disparities in HIV infection persist among populations of color and American Indians living in Minnesota
- Male-to-male sex remains the leading risk factor for acquiring HIV/AIDS in Minnesota
- New HIV infection remains concentrated in the Twin Cities seven-county metro area (83% of new infections in 2012)
- Foreign-born persons made up nearly 1 in 4 of new HIV infections in 2012, and progress from HIV to AIDS more quickly than U.S. born persons living with HIV in Minnesota
On this page:
New HIV Infections in 2012
People living with HIV/AIDS, 2012
Previous Annual Summaries
2012 Slide presentation
- HIV Surveillance Report,
The Minnesota HIV Surveillance Report, 2012 describes the occurrence of reported HIV infections in Minnesota by person, place, and time through December 31, 2012. Such data provide information about where and among whom HIV transmission is likely occurring. This knowledge can in turn be used to help educate, target prevention efforts, plan for services, and develop policy.
- Case counts and rates of new HIV infection in Minnesota by place of residence, age, gender, race/ethnicity and mode of exposure. (Download 2012 New HIV Infections Summary Tables, formatted for print: PDF: 35KB/7 pages)
2012 Slide presentation
- HIV/AIDS Prevalence
& Mortality Report, 2012
The Minnesota HIV/AIDS Prevalence & Mortality Report, 2012 contains estimates of HIV/AIDS prevalence (the number of persons living with HIV or AIDS) and mortality in Minnesota. These estimates can be used to help educate, plan for HIV/AIDS services and develop policy.
- The following tables contain case counts of persons living with HIV or AIDS in Minnesota by place of residence, age, gender, race/ethnicity and mode of exposure. (Download 2012 Summary HIV/AIDS Prevalence and Mortality Tables, formatted for print: PDF: 39KB/6 pages)
- Recording of the HIV/Hepatitis 2012 Data Release webinar presentation (4/23/2013)
- Streaming (10.45MN/46 minutes)
(NOTE: FireFox or Google Chrome browser recommended. May not work in IE. If you require this in a different format, please contact us at 651-201-5414.)
- Slides: 2012 HIV (PDF: 14MB/75 slides) or (PPT: 15MB/75 slides)
Highlights from the Minnesota HIV/Hepatitis 2012 Data Release Webinar
- Archive: 1989-2000
Content Notice: This site contains HIV or STD prevention messages that may not be appropriate for all audiences. Since HIV and other STDs are spread primarily through sexual practices or by sharing needles, prevention messages and programs may address these topics. If you are not seeking such information or may be offended by such materials, please exit this web site.