World AIDS Day
World AIDS Day has been observed every year on December 1 since 1988. This worldwide effort draws people together in solidarity to pay tribute to the millions of people living with HIV/AIDS, raise awareness of the global impact of HIV/AIDS, and celebrate victories that are allowing more people to live longer and healthier lives.
As World AIDS Day approaches, MDH is calling for renewed passion and dedication in the fight to end HIV in Minnesota.
World AIDS Day 2017 Events
- Thursday, Nov. 30, Hamline Church United Methodist, 1514 Englewood Ave., St. Paul, MN 55104 (7:15-8:30 p.m.)
World AIDS Day Remembrance and Awareness Vigil
Candle Light Vigil from 7:15-7:30pm. Program featuring HIV+ individuals telling their stories. Representatives from The MN AIDS Project and Clare Housing talking about the purpose of World AIDS day and a profile of HIV in Minnesota.
- Friday, Dec. 1, All God’s Children Metropolitan Community Church, 3100 Park Ave S., Minneapolis, MN 55407 (7:30-10 a.m.)
Passion & Compassion: Strengthening Our Resolve to End HIV/AIDS World AIDS Day Breakfast 2017
Join leaders, activists, organizations, and faith communities for the 1st Annual World AIDS Day Breakfast. Prayer service, ritual, fellowship and breakfast.
- Friday, Dec. 1, La Clinica, 153 Cesar Chavez St., St. Paul, MN 55107 (8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.)
Free HIV Testing
Walk-in HIV testing. The first 25 people who request a HIV test will get a $10 gift card from Target.
- Friday, Dec. 1, Northeast Target, 1650 New Brighton Blvd., Minneapolis, MN 55413 (11 a.m.-8 p.m.)
Wrap the World in Warmth
Free holiday gift wrapping Dec. 1 and winter coat drive Dec. 1-8. Purchase a coat at Northeast Target to donate to a neighbor in need living at Clare Housing. Visit the Clare Housing table in Target on Dec. 1 for more information.
- Friday, Dec. 1, Park Tavern, 3401 Louisiana Ave S., St Louis Park, MN 55426 (2-4 p.m.)
World AIDS Day Bowling Party for The Aliveness Project
Bowling party for The Aliveness Project members and their families and friends with free bowling for the first 80 people and light appetizers.
- Friday, Dec. 1, Ordean Building, 424 West Superior St., Duluth, MN 55804 (5-7:30 p.m.)
Twin Ports World AIDS Day Event
Social hour and refreshments at 5 p.m. followed by report on prevention and treatment progress, personal stories, history of an activist and memorial vigil. Free and open to the public.
- Friday, Dec. 1, Capri Theatre, 2021 West Broadway Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55411 (6-8 p.m.)
Sarah Simmons Showcase
Talent, tacos and testing! Live performances from local talent.
For More Information
- Global HIV/AIDS Timeline
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation has compiled a timeline of key milestones designed to serve as an ongoing reference tool for many of the political, scientific, cultural and community events that have occurred over the history of the epidemic.