About Jamestown Canyon Virus
- Jamestown Canyon Virus Sheet
Answers to frequently asked questions about Jamestown Canyon virus.
- Jamestown Canyon virus is one of several mosquitoborne diseases that have been seen in Minnesota. Several different mosquitoes can transmit the virus.
Learn how to minimize your risk to eastern equine encephalitis and other diseases transmitted by mosquitoes.
Signs and symptoms
- Illness caused by Jamestown Canyon virus is rarely reported in the United States.
- Identified cases have presented with fever, headache, and flu-like symptoms (chills, malaise, and nausea).
- Severe cases involving the central nervous system (CNS) may include meningitis (inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain) or encephalitis (inflammation of the brain).
- Treatment for Jamestown Canyon virus is supportive care until the illness resolves.