Protect Your Family From Measles
The Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) Immunization, Tuberculosis, and International Health Section is pleased to announce the release of two exciting new resources: the “Protect Your Family from Measles” public service announcement (PSA) and short video—produced in partnership with Emergency and Community Health Outreach (ECHO-TV); and the “Think Measles” poster.
“Protect Your Family from Measles” includes a PSA and short video about measles, the MMR vaccine, and international travel for the public. The resource was developed as an educational and outreach tool for persons at elevated risk when traveling overseas.
- The PSA educates viewers on how to protect their family from measles when traveling overseas.
- The short video features a mother’s story of her child’s battle with measles and a local public health expert’s answers to questions about measles disease, the MMR vaccine, and more.
“Protect Your Family from Measles” is available in four languages: Amharic, English, Oromo, and Somali. Each version was taped using bilingual and bicultural hosts. Content was written by MDH immunization program staff. All non-English programs are subtitled in English.
Although the content of each version of the PSA varies slightly, each PSA contains the following key messages:
- If you are planning to travel overseas, protect our family and see a doctor.
- Measles is a serious disease that is widespread in several countries in Africa, Europe, and Asia.
- Before you travel, tell your doctor where you are going.
- Everyone should have the measles vaccine before traveling, unless they have previously had the vaccine or measles disease.
- Babies as young as 6 months old should be given the measles vaccine before traveling.
- After you return, call your doctor if anyone gets sick within the first few weeks. Mention where you traveled.
- Remember to protect your family when traveling and get vaccinated!
- For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Travelers' Health website. Attention: Non-MDH link.
“Protect Your Family from Measles” is available in DVD format and streaming online:
- DVD Order Form (PDF)
A limited number of DVDs are available at no cost to organizations in the United States that serve populations at elevated risk for measles. Each DVD contains the PSA and short video in all four languages. Limit one DVD per organization.
“Protect Your Family from Measles” is available in each language on ECHO-TV's website. Click on the following links for the PSA and short video in the appropriate language (Attention: Non-MDH links):
Please contact Lynn Bahta (firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-5505) with any questions about this project.
Think Measles Poster
MDH has produced a "Think Measles” poster for distribution. The poster is a visual reminder of the key messages about the MMR vaccine and international travel, namely:
- Before you travel:
- Tell your doctor where you are going.
- Babies and children may need measles vaccination at a younger age than usual.
- After you travel:
- Call your doctor if anyone gets a fever and rash within three weeks of returning from your trip.
- Describe where you traveled.
The poster is available to community organizations, health care facilities, and educational facilities. It is available to order in Amharic, English, Oromo, and Somali:
Posters are also available to print in 9 languages from our Think Measles Web page.
Emergency and Community Health Outreach. Attention: Non-MDH link
ECHO Minnesota TV - YouTube Channel
View videos from Emergency and Community Health Outreach. Attention: Non-MDH link
Immunization For Travelers
MDH's website about travel immunizations and international travel health clinics.