Measles Information For Health Professionals
- Lab Testing
for Measles at the MDH Public Health Laboratory
Information on the lab tests for measles, when they should be used, and how to submit specimens to MDH.
- Infectious Disease Testing and Submission Form
Include this form with each specimen when submitting for testing. Fill out the form as completely as possible and indicate which test is requested.
- Reporting Measles
All cases of measles must be reported to the Minnesota Department of Health. Find out what needs to be reported, who needs to report diseases, which forms to use and where to find out more about the disease.
Tools and Resources
- When to Suspect and Test for Measles (PDF)
Algorithm for when you should suspect and test for measles in patients with known exposure or international travel.
- Measles Post-Exposure Prophylaxis for Non-Symptomatic Susceptible Contacts (PDF)
Guidance for post-exposure prophylaxis for non-symptomatic susceptible contacts depending on risk factors and time from first exposure to measles case.
- Measles Exposure Isolation and Quarantine Recommendations (PDF)
Quick reference guide on isolation and quarantine recommendations for someone exposed to measles.
- Minimize Measles Transmission in Health Care Settings
Quick reference for minimizing the risk of measles transmission in health care settings.
Clinical features and epidemiology
- Measles Clinical Information
Information on measles for health professionals, including epidemiology, communicability, and treatment.
- Health Care Worker Measles Immune Status and Exposures in Health Care Settings
Information for employee health and infection prevention staff on evaluating health care workers' measles immune status and responding to exposures in health care settings.
- Measles Vaccination and Disease History Assumptions by Age
A guide to help determine the age groups most likely under-immunized against measles.
- Measles: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
Measles chapter in CDC's Pink Book on vaccine-preventable diseases, 12th Edition (May 2012). Attention: Non-MDH link
of Diseases: Measles
The CDC offers photos of the disease and people affected by the disease. Warning: graphic medical images. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Measles Vaccine Product Information and VIS
Attention: Non-MDH links
Generic nameManufacturerPrescribing informationVIS
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) Merck M-M-R II Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccines: What You Need to Know Measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (MMRV) Merck ProQuad
- MMR Vaccine Questions and Answers
Questions and Answers from the CDC about Vaccination Options for Preventing Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Ask the Experts: MMR Vaccination
Experts from the CDC answer challenging questions about vaccines and their administration. Attention: Non-MDH link
ACIP Recommendations and MMWR reports
Prevention of Measles, Rubella, Congenital Rubella Syndrome, and Mumps, 2013: Summary Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
June 2013 recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Attention: Non-MDH link
- MMWR Publications on MMR and MMRV Vaccines
Articles published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report regarding the measles-containing vaccines. Attention: Non-MDH link