Fungal Infections from Contaminated Medication:
DO NOT send CSF specimens to MDH-PHL unless you have been requested to do so directly from MDH.
If you are asked to send specimens to MDH-PHL follow these instructions:
- Ideal volume of CSF is 2 - 5 mL
- Unspun samples
- Store CSF in refrigerator
- Send CSF to MDH cold with cold packs
- Do not send specimens for delivery on Sunday
- Use Infectious Disease Testing and Submission Form
- Fill out the form as completely as possible
- Write in "Meningitis Case" in the comment section
Save any CSF that may be from patients associated with this outbreak for 2-4 weeks in the refrigerator or freezer in case they are later identified as a case and specimens are requested from MDH.
- The MDH Mycology Laboratory does not perform primary fungal culture but does provide fungal identification as a reference service.
- MDH and CDC do not perform the Aspergillus galactomannan assay, you must use a commercial reference laboratory.
- Instructions for Clinical Teams Regarding Diagnostic Testing and Specimen Submission to CDC – Outbreak Associated With Injection of Potentially Contaminated Steroid Products
Follow these instructions for any patient with a history of epidural steroid injection with the potentially contaminated product.
Do NOT send specimens directly to CDC. Specimens will be requested by MDH from your facility and MDH will send to CDC