Information for Health Care Professionals
Information for health professionals about meningococcal disease (Neisseria meningitidis, Bacterial Meningitis) and reporting.
- Reporting Meningococcal Disease (Neisseria meningitidis)
Minnesota Rules Governing Communicable Diseases require health care providers to report confirmed or suspected cases of Neisseria meningitidis to the Minnesota Department of Health immediately.
It is important to report suspected and confirmed cases of meningococcal disease immediately (by phone: 651-201-5414). MDH staff should be consulted about antimicrobial chemoprophylaxis for contacts of case-patients with meningococcal disease.
- Meningococcal Vaccination Pocket Guide (PDF)
Quick reference guide for providers with information on the meningococcal ACWY and meningococcal B vaccines, including age and risk indications.
- AAFP: Meningococcal Disease Vaccine
Information and recommendations from the American Academy of Family Physicians for administering the meningococcal ACWY and meningococcal B vaccines.
- AAP: Recommendations for Serogroup B Meningococcal Vaccine for Persons 10 Years and Older
Policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics with recommendations for meningococcal B vaccine.
- Understanding the Category B Recommendation for Serogroup B Meningococcal Vaccine
Article from the journal Pediatrics explaining what a category B recommendation is and how it differs from a category A (or universal) recommendation.
- Prevention and Control of Meningococcal Disease: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
CDC: MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) from March 22, 2013.
- Meningococcal Disease: The Pink Book Course Textbook, 12 Edition
CDC: Meningococcal Disease: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases.
Serogroup C Invasive Meningococcal Disease Among Men Who Have Sex With Men – New York City, 2010-2012
CDC: MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) from Jan. 4, 2013.
Occupational Transmission of Neisseria meningitidis- California, 2009
CDC: MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) from Nov. 19, 2010.
Meningococcal Disease -- United States, 2000
CDC: MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) from Feb. 22, 2002.