Specimen Collection and Testing for MERS-CoV
For patients with clinical suspicion of MERS-CoV, CDC recommends collection of specimens from different sites including:
- Lower respiratory specimen (i.e. sputum, broncheoalveolar lavage, bronchial wash, tracheal aspirate, or pleural fluid)
- Upper respiratory specimens (i.e.[in order of preference], nasopharyngreal swab AND oralpharyngeal swab, oralpharyngeal swab or nasopharyngeal swab, nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate)
- Stool specimens (lower priority)
- Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations: MERS
Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for confirmed, probable or cases under investigation. Update, Case Definitions, and Guidance. Attention: Non-MDH link
Please use the Clinical Testing and Submission Form and note MERS-CoV testing under “Other”:
- Printable Form (PDF:84KB/1 page)
Print and fill out manually.
- Fillable Form (PDF: 578KB/1 page)
Fill out on your computer, then print.
- Before shipping please call 651-201-5414 or 1-877-676-5414.
- Refrigerate specimen until shipping.
- For an MDH epidemiologist, call 651-201-5414 or 1-877-676-5414.
- During business hours you can call the Virology Supervisor at 651-201-5255.