Mumps Information For Health Professionals
Clinical features and epidemiology
Information on mumps for healthcare professionals, including epidemiology, testing, and post-exposure and vaccination recommendations. updated 3/10
Vaccination and Disease History Assumptions by Age
A guide to help determine the age groups most likely under-immunized against mumps.
Testing for Mumps at the MDH Public Health Laboratory
Information on the lab tests for mumps, when they should be used, and how to submit specimens to MDH.
- Infectious Disease Testing and Submission Form
Include this form with each specimen when submitting for testing. Fill out the form as completely as possible and indicate which test is requested.
- Mumps: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (PDF: 479KB/10 pages)
Mumps chapter in the CDC's Pink Book on vaccine-preventable diseases, 11th Edition (May 2009). Attention: Non-MDH link
- Images of Diseases: Mumps
The CDC offers photos of the disease and people affected by the disease. Attention: Non-MDH link. Warning: Graphic medical images.
- Salivary Gland Illustration
Graphic illustration of the salivary glands from Mayo Clinic. Attention: Non-MDH link
All cases of mumps must be reported to the Minnesota Department of Health. Find out what needs to be reported, who needs to report diseases, which forms to use and where to find out more about the disease.
- Mumps Vaccine Product Information and VIS
Attention: Non-MDH links
Generic nameManufacturerPrescribing informationVIS
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) Merck M-M-R II Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccines: What You Need to Know Measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (MMRV) Merck ProQuad
- MMR Vaccine Clinical Questions and Answers
Technical questions and answers from the CDC regarding MMR vaccine. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Ask the Experts: MMR Vaccination
Experts from the CDC answer challenging questions about vaccines and their administration. Attention: Non-MDH link
ACIP Recommendations and MMWR reports
- ACIP Recommendations: Vaccine Use and Strategies for Elimination of Measles, Rubella, and Congenital Rubella Syndrome and Control and Mumps
May 22, 1998 recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Attention: Non-MDH link
- MMWR Publications on MMR and MMRV Vaccines
Articles published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report regarding the measles-containing vaccines. Attention: Non-MDH link
- MMWR Articles on Mumps Disease Outbreaks
Articles published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report regarding the 2005-2006 mumps outbreaks. Attention: Non-MDH link