Consumers can prevent norovirus by:
- washing hands carefully
- do not prepare food while you are ill
- steam oysters before eating
- thoroughly cleaning after episodes of illness
Minimizing Your Risk
- Wash hands after using the bathroom and changing diapers, and before
handling or eating any food.
- Wash hands before preparing food for yourself or others.
- Make sure that persons with diarrhea, especially children, wash their
hands carefully and frequently with soap to reduce the risk of spreading
Wash Your Hands!
- Persons who are infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for 3 days after they recover from their illness
- Always steam oysters before eating.
- Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated
with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after
an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
- Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure
that the surrounding area is kept clean.
Do you suspect that you have a foodborne illness? Visit reporting suspected foodborne illnesses.