Management of Animals Exposed to a Rabid Animal
Animal Bites and Rabies Risk: A Guide for Health Professionals

Rabies is a reportable disease in Minnesota. Anyone who has reason to believe that an animal is infected with rabies or has been exposed to rabies should call the Minnesota Board of Animal Health (BAH) at (651) 201-6808. BAH investigates all cases in which a domestic animal has been exposed to rabies under BAH Rules 1721.0570.

A wild animal that has potentially exposed a domestic animal to rabies should be tested whenever possible. Local animal control officers in some communities may assist with capturing a wild animal for rabies testing. Veterinarians can be contacted to assist with rabies specimen submission. 

For questions about rabies in animals or to report suspect or exposed animals, contact: Minnesota Board of Animal Health (651) 201-6808
For more information on rabies in animals go to

Updated Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 04:10PM